Update: We have extra additional Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra image samples currently, as we continue on to evaluation the camera and its mind-blowing 100x telephoto lens. See the up-to-date findings below.
We don’t have to inform you that the Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra camera is extraordinary – the fifty images we are like in this camera deep dive communicate for on their own.
We examined the S20 Ultra 100x telephoto lens, which Samsung calls ‘Space Zoom’, and have up-to-date this web page with image samples from taking pictures on a tripod as nicely as when handheld most importantly, we put the phone’s images side-by-side with people shot by top competitors (the likes of Apple, Google, OnePlus).
As you can inform, we are getting our Galaxy S20 Ultra camera incredibly significantly:
The image comparison gallery is below, having said that, if you have specific requests for a comparison or shot scenario, ask us about it on Twitter. We will test to update this ongoing S20 Ultra camera evaluation with answers. Indeed, we are going to involve the S20 and S20 Furthermore as comparisons when we get people phones in for evaluation, also.
We’re displaying the results of the adhering to S20 Ultra camera modes:
- 100x ‘Space Zoom’ telephoto lens with a tripod + rival telephone comparisons
- 100x ‘Space Zoom’ at night when shadows creep in
- 108MP images and 40MP selfies – does it actually make a distinction?
- Live Aim portrait mode and all of its fun filters
- The upgraded selfie camera and computerized team selfie UI (this is poised to be the most effective selfie camera we have at any time examined)
- Ultra-broad images (and how they look at to typical broad images)
- Handheld 100x ‘Space Zoom’ telephoto makes an attempt
Now onto the Galaxy S20 Ultra image comparison gallery below.
So how’s that Galaxy S20 100x ‘Space Zoom’?
What is it like in ‘Space Zoom’? That is the No. 1 issue we had when we initially did our Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra unboxing and fired up the camera. In a number of words and phrases: extraordinary, but not usually useable at the highest 100x instances zoom level.
Samsung’s folded lens, related to the Huawei P30 Pro’s periscope lens, sits sideways inside of the smartphone to give it additional area and takes advantage of a mirror to switch ninety degrees and consider photographs out of the again of the telephone. Or else, you wouldn’t be acquiring to severe zoom concentrations with a skinny smartphone.
Utilizing a tripod for this initially exam, below are the results, starting up with 1x (no zoom) and heading to 2x, 10x, 30x and 100x, then again down to .5x for the ultra-broad.
Edit: We went again and re-did our tests to involve each working day and night to see what happens when additional shadows creep in. The night images are now on web page two.
S20 Ultra image gallery
Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra 12MP main camera – 1x (no zoom)
Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra 12MP main camera – 2x zoom
Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra 12MP main camera – 4x zoom
Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra 12MP main camera – 10x zoom
Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra 12MP main camera – 30x zoom
Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra 12MP main camera – 100x zoom (max zoom)
Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra 12MP ultra-broad camera – .5x zoom
The S20 Ultra camera at 100x is not one thing you’d article to Instagram – it really is pretty much a stylized hand-drawn version of what New York City’s Grand Central Terminal clock appears like. But this is shut to what 10x electronic zoom appears like on Samsung’s competitors.
Essentially, Samsung’s camera is making 10x optical hybrid zoom reasonably useable when that is the highest electronic zoom on quite a few of its rivals (and its possess earlier cameras). Even 4x and 30x (which are preset zoom concentrations on the camera UI) are usable in the ideal situations (browse: very good lighting disorders and with a continual hand or tripod), when the 100x zoom feels like a neat tech demo and related to the high-quality of 10x electronic zoom on other phones cameras.
Besides the S20 Ultra, here’s what we have involved
Seeking at the Galaxy S20 Ultra camera’s images is beneficial, but inspecting them by itself is not very good ample for our tests. So we have involved a number of of Samsung’s rivals and two of past year’s Samsung phones in quite a few of the situations.
Here’s what we have involved and why:
- Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra: for the reason that… or else this is pointless, ideal?
- Iphone 11 Pro Max: the S20 Ultra’s chief competitor from Apple
- Google Pixel 4: one particular of the most effective camera phones in our e book
- Samsung Galaxy S10: how significantly has the S20 Ultra enhanced points?
- Samsung Galaxy Be aware ten: some individuals are deciding involving the S20 Ultra and Be aware ten (and have emailed us, so this is for you)
- OnePlus seven Pro: a flagship at a mid-variety value, now 1/three less expensive vs S20 Ultra
- Google Pixel 3a: a telephone that is $1,000 less expensive than the S20 Ultra